Written By: Girl Tyler
Journals are like best friends who hold your deepest secrets and help you to unpack messy situations. Not only does it strengthen your writing muscles, journaling is also a creative outlet to express your emotions while also shaping your thought process. In fact, keeping a journal nearby can also propel you closer to your dreams.Years before she became a world-renowned science fiction writer, Octavia E. Butler kept a personal journal where she wrote the vision for her life. In one notebook she wrote, “This is my life. I write bestselling novels...So be it! See to it! I will find the way to do this...My books will be read by millions of people.” She accomplished everything she set out to do and then some. Before her untimely passing in 2006, Octavia published several books, earning countless top honors. Today, her work is taught in more than 200 colleges and universities across the U.S. How inspiring!
You are the author of your life story. The plans and wishes deep within your heart are waiting to be explored. Not sure where to begin. No problem. Try these 10 writing prompts to get your creative juices flowing:
- What do you want people to remember about you?
- Write out the vision for where you see yourself in 10 years.
- What does love mean to you? How can you show more love to yourself and others?
- What does your ideal free day look like? Where would you go and who would you take along with you?
- Describe yourself through the eyes of a loved one.
- Take a look in the mirror and then write down all of the beautiful things that you love about your body.
- If you were a millionaire for a day, how would you spend your money?
- List all of the people, places, and things that bring you joy.
- Write about the one person in your life who you can always count on.
- If you could make your own movie, what would it be about? Who would you cast?