Waist beads aren’t a new “fast fashion” statement. Their history runs deep and can be traced back to the 15th century. Our ‘foremothers’ throughout the continent of Africa wore them long ago for various reasons, sis. They’re worn around the hips and have traditional meanings in Africa.
The jewelry usually has several different ornamental and cultural uses. They can be used for weight loss management, cultural representation, or merely aesthetic purposes. Today “your why” for wearing your waist beads is your own. The meaning of the colors of waist beads varies from place to place.
Now that you have received your Mother Earth Waist Bead Kit, and learned a little history, it’s time to learn how to achieve a perfect fit!
YOUR WAIST BEAD KIT INCLUDES:
1 beaded glass waist bead elastane strand - 70 inches
4 sets of lobster clasps (2 silver and 2 gold) – to be used for the removable method
4 split rings/crimps – to be used for the removable method
1 Extended cord – to be used for the tie-on method
This method does not require any tools or metal closures. Tie-on waist beads stay around your waist until you cut them off with scissors (How’s that for commitment?”). After you remove them, the beads can be saved and recycled into a new strand of waist beads (if you’ve lost weight and need to re-tie them to a smaller size, for example).
Alternatively, if you decide to cut your waist beads they can be used to make a different jewelry item, using a new piece of string.
IF You Prefer the TIE-ON METHOD
1. Wrap your waist beads around the back of your body like a belt. Adjust the strand wherever you want it to sit on your waist and hold it at the point of connection of the two sides of your strand.
2. When you’ve determined your desired length, intertwine the string at that connection point. You may need to push any unneeded beads down to the very ends of your thread, so they don’t get in the way.
3. With the strand around your waist and no gaps between the beads, tie 4-5 tight knots until they are secure.
4. Wrap the string around the knot one time and tie it again.
5. Use scissors to cut any excess string.
6. Discard or save any unused beads.
This method allows you to put your waist beads on, take them off, and back onagain any time you desire. This requires metal closure pieces and tools to achieve.
IF You Prefer the clasp METHOD
You will need to purchase the following items (available from any craft store):
A chain or needle nose pliers
1. Choose either the gold or silver lobster clasps included in your package.
2. Wrap your waist beads around the back of your body like a belt. Adjust the strand wherever you want it to sit on your waist and hold it at the point of connection of the two sides of your strand.
3. When you’ve determined your desired length, intertwine the string at that connection point. You may need to push any unneeded beads down to the very ends of your thread so they don’t get in the way.
4. Using a pen or marker, mark the point on each end of the string where you want to place the lobster clasps. Thread the string through the crimp then attach the ring closures at the desired points. Secure them with the included lobster clasp for maximum security.
5. Check out this YouTube video for detailed visual instructions:
read more about the significance and history of waist beads here.
Copied code to clipboard. You can use it on checkout.